11 April, 2008

Griswald's take on Europe

Just kidding!

The trip with my family was great. They flew into Hannover on 3/22 from Bradley International in CT. We drove them all over after a short rest, showing them the Rathaus, and snow. Oh the snow. I had been clear in telling them the weather has been WUNDERBAR! No snow, nice temperatures. Leave it up to my luck for the hail to start the day they arrive. The weather certainly limited what they could see, but Hannover doesn’t have a TON of things to flock to. They saw a beautiful castle about 20 minutes from our home (Marienburg) draped with snow at dusk. That was a site I may never forget. We also had dinner in Hildesheim that night. Their first day felt like 3 days packed into one. They were troopers.

The following day was Easter – which we celebrated at the huge Market Kirche in Hannover. A few small glitches (mom and dad sleeping, Pez dispenser Seinfeld references, and a Bach oratorio) we headed over to the beautiful Herrenhauser Gardens. Nothing like a great summer place with a temperature of ZERO degrees and snow. IT was soooo cold.

After that, the meeting of the families. I didn’t know what to expect, so I was certainly concerned at how things would unfold. It was actually a very special day in which two cultures merged without collision, but very smoothly! There was good love from God that day – it must have been repayment for making my family sit through a 2 hour German mass. Our families mixed well and it didn’t hurt that wine and beer flowed freely. I know I certainly had my share and felt the result was excellent! Conversation was mostly easy, and when necessary, translation occurred. Tim’s mom prepared platters of traditional German meats and cheeses as well as fish, eggs, and vegetables. Nothing like a hearty German spread to make for a wonderful week. I think the Griswald’s (aka Bradley’s) had a good time, and started to get a glimpse of my life over the last 2 months.

Monday we flew to Vienna. Since it was Matt’s birthday, I took them to the most famous Wiener Schnitzel place, and it was fantastic! I gave them an abbreviated tour of the city, and all the amazing sites. Vienna is my favorite city in the world, so I was so glad to show my family the sites that I’ve explored over the last two summers there.

On Wednesday I had an audition with an agent which went well. I was a little weary of them as I have heard that they (a mother-son team) can be Sheister’s. But I sang well, even with a little cold, and they asked me to stay and talk further. We talked for a short time about my rep (she thought I needed less German rep and more Italian – Verdi, etc.). Because I knew my family was going to meet me after their trip to the famous Schoenbrunn palace, I was a little disinterested (and I barely knew if I could trust these people). But they asked to see me again when I go to Vienna next (21 April) to talk further. Voila.

After picking up our rental car (what, an automatic!?), we drove to the gem city of Salzburg. It had been 2 years since I studied at the Mozarteum, so it was great to be back and visit sites like the impressive Medieval castle that overlooks the whole city. We had done so much walking after one day that in the late afternoon, we decided to take a drive to Berchtesgaden (Germany). Because Salzburg is so close to the border, it only took 20 minutes and we were there. We had hopes of seeing Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest and a museum also built on the site of Hitler’s “vacation spot”. Because of the snow and the unpredictability in the Alps, we found that Eagle’s Nest is only open May-October and reachable by bus. We went back the next morning to the museum instead, which included bunkers built by Hilter for himself and guests. It also happens to be a place where many important decisions were made by him and his officers. Crazy.


We hopped back into the car for 3 hour ride to Castle Neuschwanstein (think Disney’s Cinderella castle). Disney replicated it after this castle! Built by the crazy King Ludwig, he only lived there for 180 days! It was beautiful and also happened to be closed. (At least we knew that before the long walk up to it!). It was still a sight to behold as the sun set over Bavaria.

That night, Tim drove 5 and a ½ hours straight after work to meet us in Fuessen (at the foot of the castle) where we stayed for the night. A hearty Italian dinner capped the night and began the close to the trip.

The next day, we all drove to Munich, the final destination – 1.5 hours away. Tim and I briefly showed the main sites – of course the Rathaus, Marienplatz, more churches (I don’t think my family wants to ever step inside another church!) and Hofbrauhaus – the famous (and quite touristy) beer hall with liter mugs! It was a nice break of beer and pretzels and a Bavarian band. A great way to end the trip. Mom and I left Dad, Matt, and Tim together at another brewery while we did some shopping. An hour later, we came back to see more empty mugs and enjoyed some ourselves. My friend Ellen from Copenhagen was also in Munich (again!) and so she met us for a beer as well.

Sorry for the rundown – but it was sort of fun to go back and remember it now as well! Mom and Dad left for the airport at (gulp) 4am, which felt like 3am because Europe changed their clocks that night! Tim and I drove home that morning (with a stop in Heidelberg for lunch with friends Nelli and Oliver). 7 hours later we were home in Springe. HALLELUJAH!

Of course I miss the fam, but it was a nice week (maybe too packed with things to do) that gave them a taste of Europe. Well, at least Germany and Austria. It will be fun to do more exploration next time, and less things to do. They’ve done castles and churches. Check. I think I even heard a "danke" out of my Dad's mouth! They are acclimating!






My brother took a ridiculous amount of pictures (I forgot my camera - super) - so I will post more when he gets around to sending them to me.

Will post another on my Brussels trip for the Elardo competition which was the worst trip of my life!


No comments: