27 February, 2008

Audition 1: Munich

So, lots to update you on!

Last week was my Bavarian Opera Studio audition in Munich. I started to write a blog entry from the airport, and then my Wiener Schnitzel showed up. Sorry, it was a date I couldn’t refuse. At some point, I will definitely take a picture. For you fun loving dirty minds, Wiener actually means Vienna and schnitzel is a type of meat preparation (aka pounded and FRIED). A four hour wait in the airport (thank GOD Ellen showed up after her audition for the same studio) turned into dinner and lots of beers.

The actual audition was ok. It was set for 2:25pm and I decided I would get there super early to warm up and figure things out. Some of you may know that the German audition system can be one of long waits and not much information. So I found my way through the basement and to the 3 practice/warm up rooms available. Someone asks me what time my audition is. AH! Wait,how do I say that in German? 2:25pm is....(translating in my head), 14:25, so I instead say 22:25 (which is 10:25pm). The woman looked at me strangely. Then I realized what I said so I then said 12:25, which is again wrong (and funny, because it was 1:00pm at that point). Finally I said the correct time, but at that point, I think she gave up on me and walked away.


While waiting (they practice rooms were all occupied), a guy shows up in get up that I cannot believe. I actually almost start laughing out loud. He was wearing a dark suit with a burgundy shirt, a tealish colored tie, and a teal scarf. In addition, a red carnation in his lapel with – get ready – makeup and eyeliner. That’s right folks, more makeup than maybe even I had on. I’m thinking this guy must be crazy. I try to figure out where he’s from – maybe Romania, or Israel. He then asks me a few questions in German, and the last question – where are you from….I respond – “new york”. His eyes widen and “OH MY GOD, ME TOO!”. That’s right, he’s a New Yorker. After I got over my judgements about him, he turned out to be a nice guy. A typical singer, insecure, but sweet, and just wanting to do well. He sang 2nd so I got the info on the room, the panel, pianist, etc. He said the room was wonderful, the one person listening friendly, and the pianst great. WUNDERBAR!

As I waited for my audition (after another interesting encounter with a young, annoying, and wait, guess it – American- singer), I hear the girl before me enter and sing a beautiful Come Scoglio. They told us they would only hear one aria. After she began a second aria (Je dis, from Carmen), I knew I was shit out of luck. She sang it beautifully. Then a lot of time went by, she came out, and her audition lasted about 15-17 minutes. We had 5 minute slots. So I walked in, said Guten Tag quite cheerfully, and made my way to the piano. He asked in English what I’d like to sing and I told him “Es gibt ein Reich”{Ariadne auf Naxos}. This has been my aria that I have sung all fall, and has gone well. After my January flu, it still hasn’t been sitting totally perfect in me, but I had a GREAT coaching on it last week at the Hannover Hochschule. So, why not? I sang it. Wasn’t great. Got stuck in my throat, breathing sort of tightened up, and all I could think of was this girl before me who sang so beautifully. So there you go. It’s a mind game, friends. Just have to stay focused and only be aware of your talents, your offerings. Was a learning, and I decided to pull Ariadne for now. Am back to using Arabella as my Strauss aria. It’s safer for me, and I’ve had more time with it (2 years) so I can fix things easier as I go.

After a bumpy, crowded and headache filled flight, I arrive in Hannover, at 10:25pm. What an exhausting few days.

5 glorious hours of sleep and back to the airport for a 6:20am flight to London. At least Tim is flying with me and we’ll have a few days together to enjoy London before my Zurich opera audition!


Pros: found a great, cheap, clean, modern German hotel to use in many cities (Motel One). Loved it. Seeing Ellen was also great fun. Having Radler (beer mixed with lemon-lime soda).

Cons: too many days away. Thought I would have some Munich auditions to do while here, but didn’t send my materials early enough. Not having a landline -this made working really difficult.



No comments: